so. "chosen". cuts and minor rants thereof shortly, after this announcement, for anyone that missed it: as of 16th january, the entire of season 7 will be shown again, weekly, with late night uncut repeats. so, hurrah for someone being sensible... (i get the impression, more often than not, that there is one single solitary geek on the scheduling team...)
right, so, the cuts were, as i wrote them down:
1) last night, for starters, i'm pretty sure they cut the first saying "that bitch..." to spike. not that important, but annoying nonetheless.
2) when she 'split' caleb, we only saw the upward motion. it was meant to be buffy slamming the scythe between his legs, his wide-eyed expression of horror, and then the upward slice. and here's the really stupid thing - they kept angel saying "okay, now i'm pissed" - and, in fact, much of the other cursing throughout that was too hard to cut. more on that later...
3) the conversation between robin and faith was severely cut, too. during the whole "i am so
much prettier than you" thing, there was a whole section missed out. faith was supposed to say "that was rock 'em, sock 'em!" (in response to the sex...), and then they cut robin's truly fantastic, "don't get me wrong, it was nice enough, and you're very... uh... 'enthused'..." or whatever it was. i'd go to buffyworld to get the exact quote, but yeah, it was missed out. annoying, though not exactly vital...
4) the final battle was cut lots, too, i imagine, but from what i specifically remember, i think they edited the stabbing-of-buffy somewhat. i'm pretty sure that we actually saw the sword going through her and then out again before, rather than just the wound.
5) anya. it was a blink-and-you-miss it moment to begin with, so quick they shouldn't really have had to cut it at all. but cut it, they did, so we didn't see anya getting sliced in half. in fact, the only way we would have known anya had died would be from the shot of her lying on the ground, and xander's conversation with andrew at the end.
6) and here's where my point about the cursing comes in: they cut spike's truly fantastic "oh, bollocks..." as the amulet does its thing. i really wish they'd left that in. it seems like a very insignificant line, really, but the fact that it's there at all is to remind us that it's spike, and even when he's saving the world, he doesn't change... :)
frell, i miss spike. :( am going to have to watch season 4 of angel... am also regrettably going to have to write the post-chosen fic. bugger.
i think i'll type up the plan for that, actually... then you can all talk me out of it...
much of what i said about 'chosen' the last time
still holds - though i'm more coherent this time - but here's a little more i noticed... firstly, that standing-on-opposite-sides-of-the-room thing is still
very cruel, but it's spawned so much missing-scene fic i probably shouldn't complain. the other buffy/spike scene seemed so much better this time around - and i'm going to have
to make an icon of the angel doodle, because it's so funny...
the final battle - the entire ending, in fact - seemed so much more poignant this time. maybe because i wrote the counterpoint fic having not seen it for ages, and it seemed to fit. i don't know. but anyway, i whimpered muchly at the 'i love you' and spike burning up never fails to get to me anyway, not because it's spike (although that's part of it; they always kill the best ones. bastards.) but because it just makes me think about what he sacrifices, and more importantly, what he didn't get a chance
to sacrifice. the fact that even when he's on the brink of death he puts buffy first and the fact that, my god, she so
doesn't deserve it.
*sigh. mutters* i could go on and on about this; watching 'end of days' yesterday only made it worse. i've been totally on spike's side since 'crush', so i suppose i'm biased...
oh, and the bit with robin's "surprise..." - the look on faith's face. it's so much a "you bastard
..." expression. :D
anyway. i'll stop. here's the plan of the fic, cut for your convenience. all are entitled to comment except falling_softly
, on a matter of principle. :P( Death by Cliché - a working title )
you can kill me now :)( additional fic bit )